**The kids really enjoyed making these. Another fun idea to go along with the Earth Ornament, is you could make one for each Planet you study and hang them up as a sort of Solar System display.**
We actually used those Round Coca-Cola Ornament Bottles they sell at Christmas time.
The kids were SOOOO upset to have to drink all the coke so they could have an empty round bottle to use for their ornament, haha (ya, not really).
This variety of paints was nice to have on hand.
Even though we only used Blue, Green, and White for this Craft, we had many opportunities throughout the Astronomy unit to use many of the other colors.
Here are the steps:
- Fill Clear Ornament with a little bit of BLUE paint. Place lid firmly back on or cover with your thumb for loose fitting lids. Shake well to make sure the blue paint is distributed evenly on the inside of the bottle. (you can even add glitter if you'd like)
- Next, We drew outlines of the continents on the outside of the ornament with a BLACK SHARPIE.
- We placed ornament string in the loop at the top (or tied around the lid of the pop bottle tightly in our case).
- The kids then took a paintbrush and green and white paint and filled in the continent outlines.
- Let ornament dry. We hung ours up by the strings.
- Once it was dry, we tied a nice bow around the top with some "Christmas-y" Ribbon.
ENJOY YOUR EARTH ORNAMENTS
& MANY BLESSINGS!